Monday, September 29, 2008

Urban Shield, Part I

A few weekends ago, Adm and I photographed an event in the Bay Area called Urban Shield for 5.11 Tactical. It was unlike any other experience I've had, and I'm so glad that I was able to do it. Urban Shield is a competition and training exercise that brings 24 of the best swat teams from around the country to the Bay Area to participate in a 48 hour straight series of various scenarios at 24 different locations. Adm and I tag-teamed the Livermore Police Department swat team by switching on and off in ten hour shifts at all hours of the day to cover each of their scenarios. This was such an eye-opening experience on many levels: I entered places I never would be able to get into, I learned to shoot through a large safety mask, and saw things I never get to see. The guys on the Livermore PD team were so nice and patient with me - I really have so much respect for what these guys do.

Here are a few photos from the weekend. I plan to post more later. Photos by Alison Yin

This was the first scenario for Livermore. It took place at Camp Parks military base in Dublin at 06:00, Saturday, September 13, 2008.



Here are the guys repelling down the side of Glen Dyer Jail in Oakland, Calif.





Police surveillance chase at the Fairmont Animal Shelter in San Leandro, Calif.



Lots of volunteers from all over Alameda County Sheriff's Department were called on to participate in the scenarios as evaluators, hostages, bad guys..... Here is a bad guy surrendering.



Keith at about his 40th straight hour, looking pretty tired at San Lorenzo High School in San Lorenzo, Calif.



The final scenario in Dublin, Calif., at about 04:00, Monday, September 15, 2008.

No comments: